The Holy Grail of Yoghurts

I've been waiting 30 years for these to return to the shelves - Sainsbury's own brand of blackcurrant yoghurts. back in the early eighties, me mam used to get trays of these yogurts for me from Savacentre, as Sainsburys was called in Washington (joint venture with BhS) at that time. She would also buy my other favourite - champagne rhubarb, also Sainsburys own brand.

Yes, there have been many other brands of yoghurts that have made this flavour over the years - it seems to come and go out of fashion - but their recipes never seem to measure up, tastewise, to the original classic by Sainsburys - well in my mind at least. Marks and Spencer did a version that was good, not quite there on the taste and not enough fruit (although their rhubarb yoghurt did match the quality of the Sainsburys 80s version that I loved so much); but, I don't think they sell either nowadays.

Asda did a good own brand a couple of years back which contained a decent amount of fruit. Longley farm do them but I've always found theirs to be a bit tart, too thin on fruit and not thick enough for my liking (ditto Yeo Valley). Waitrose and Duchy originals also do them but they are both disappointing. Of course, you can always get a blackcurrant fool, which is a yoghurt with double cream - but I find them sickly.

My current Top ten yogurts:

1. Sainsburys blackcurrant low fat (back to the top spot)
2. Activia snack pot peach*
3. Activia snack pot strawberry
4. Activia fig
5. Activia cranberry
6. Onken Bio pot strawberry with grain**
7. OnkenBio pot peach with grain
8. Muller fruit corner peach
9. Muller fruit corner cherry
10. Activia prune

* snack pots trump Activia's fig and cranberry flavours by virtue of their larger pot size containing 165g of yoghurt - the ideal quantity in my opinion

** Onken biopots would be higher up the rankings if they did these flavours in a smaller sized carton e.g. 165g. The grain yoghurts are delicious, but I can't handle the accompanying guilt which comes with devouring the 450g contents in one go - which you inevitably do.

Previous old favourites (all Sainsburys own brand I think):
Peach and passion fruit
Apricot and mango
Morello cherry
Champagne rhubarb




Comments

Popular Posts