Alcohol Munchies Food Hack

Following on from a few of my own Viz Top Tip type posts, I spotted a genuine Viz Top Tip for making your own Brie - simply apply Tipex to Dairylea triangle. It reminded me of a couple of drunk-food hacks I've discovered - one from way back and one quite recent. 

After a few beers, the mind often turns to food - something to do with chemical changes in the stomach caused by the alcohol, stimulating that sense of hunger. 

Years ago, when such delicacies as shredded Peking Duck in pancakes could only be enjoyed at a Chinese restaurant (unlike now when you can buy it from Farm Foods for £3.50), the problem was how do you get to eat such a dish, on a whim in the house, especially when you've just rolled home from the pub, drunk but empty handed?  How to satisfy this specific desire when you have no Peking Duck or pancakes?  Easy - Cream Crackers.

I created this dish twenty odd years ago, inspired by my favourite Chinese dish.  Take a Cream Cracker, spread it with hoi sin sauce, and top it with sliced spring onion and cucumber. Propa lush like!

More recently, I discovered a new Cream Cracker recipe to recreate a modern restaurant classic: buttered Cream Cracker topped with a craft cheese slice.  Wehey! Baked Camembert with crusty fresh bread and sea salt. Tastes exactly the same.

Comments

Popular Posts